How to Know When its Time for Back Surgery
This is a question I am faced with a few times a year with patients in my Vineland practice. I am grateful that it doesn’t happen too often, but nonetheless, it is sad when things have got so bad that this becomes the only solution.
There are three major factors that can lead a patient towards the consideration of back surgery. They are:
- When a patient is suffering from unrelenting pain. They have pain no matter what treatment they have tried. It could be chiropractic, pain killers, acupuncture, cold laser therapy, massage, injections and even manipulation under anesthesia. When all these treatments have been tried and they have not succeeded, then surgery may be considered.
- If body functions are not good, so perhaps you are finding numbness or tingling that won’t go away or you are struggling to walk or even hold a cup of coffee properly. These could all be neurological factors that are preventing the signals getting to the brain and thus causing your motions to not work properly.
- If an MRI comes back and shows a problem with a disc herniation which is pushing on the spinal cord and compressing it. At that point, it’s vital to have surgery to correct the problem before it causes serious damage. This is why we normally send you away for MRI scans to enable us to fully understand what’s going on with a serious problem.
We understand that the thought of surgery can be quite scary and certainly shouldn’t be taken lightly, which is why we always suggest trying all treatments first before making the decision.
Thankfully it’s something I personally only have to speak with patients a dozen times a year because we can generally find a solution or combination of solutions that help and they are able to continue. But for any who fall into the above three categories, then generally, surgery most likely is the route to be explored.
At Back Pain Relief Center, we will try and find an alternative solution with you before getting to the point of surgery, but sometimes it’s beyond even ours and other doctors powers to fix without.
If you are suffering with back or neck pain, please do contact us. We love to help and we will help you find the right solution to combat your pain. Fortunately in most cases we are able to do it in house, but sometimes we will need a multi -disciplined approach and work with other doctors to help your pain.
Latest posts by drraydc (see all)
- What to do about Mid Back Pain - April 23, 2019
- How to Know When its Time for Back Surgery - March 27, 2019
- Why We Think You Can Improve Your Pain in Vineland - March 20, 2019