Avoid The Doctors With These 10 Back Pain Relief Tricks
At one point or another in our lives, we’re likely to experience low back pain. What makes the difference is what we decide to do about it. Below are ten tricks you can employ to keep back pain at bay:
1. Perform stretches: Sitting for prolonged periods of time is one of the main causes of low back pain. Set a reminder on your phone that notifies you every 30-60 minutes to stretch or go for a walk. Morning stretches particularly, can prove essential to your day-to-day lifestyle.
2. Smart choices: Ensure that your computer is directly in front of you. Find a seat that is supportive, comfortable and fit for you. Straining to get a proper view of the computer can lead to low back pain, stress on the shoulders and more.
3. Sit posture: Sit as upright as you can, drawing in your chin, while your head remains back and over your shoulders.
4. Foot wear: Wearing heels that are more than one inch high is not advisable. A shoe that is supportive as well as comfortable, allows you to wear it for long hours without much or any discomfort.
5. Smoking: Though it may not cause low back pain directly, smoking cigarettes exposes the cells in your body to carbon monoxide which smothers them while trying to compete with oxygen for dominance. This can be a huge hindrance to your healing process.
6. Weight: Excessive weight has been linked to frequent backaches. Find out if you’re at a healthy weight, by determining your body mass index (BMI). BMI indicates your exact body fat percentage, helping you to set a proper weight goal.
BMI Calculators are available online, simply enter your weight and height and see your results. An average BMI should range between 18.5 and 25.
7. Home remedies:
Popular over the counter (OTC) drugs such as naproxen and ibuprofen are the go-to pain relievers for many. However, recent research has shown that the healing effect of these kinds of medications (NSAIDS) is often delayed. Supplements bundled with turmeric, ginger and bioflavonoids are much healthier and sustainable alternatives.
Incorporate a diet based on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats along with foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Other smart choices include coenzyme Q10, Vitamin D and magnesium. Most fast foods contain omega-6 fatty acids and thus should be avoided as they may induce inflammation.
8. Ice: In case of swelling due to inflammation, ice can effectively reduce it. Consider doing 15 to 20 minutes rotations per hour, at least three times a day to see if the swelling subsides.
9. Get moving: Gain a balance between physical activity and rest. Stay active through exercise or short but consistent walks, to keep your body moving.
10. Build strength: Back pain is not very common among people who perform strength exercises. Thus try to include sit-ups, push-ups, planks and other strength-training exercises to your routine.
Choosing a health care provider is major decision and we as Vineland, are honored to be your place of choice for providing to those needs. Your trust is appreciated. It gives us great pleasure to render our services to you, a family member or a friend, who needs back pain care.
Back Pain Relief Center of Vineland
1133 E. Chestnut Ave
Vineland, NJ 08360